Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Updates!

So I fell off the blogging wagon, once again (or onto it...?). Anyways, a lot has happened since I last updated. I will make this as short and sweet as possible so that I can hopefully bring the blog up to speed.

In June, Sierra Vista turned into an inferno with the Monument fires that destroyed many homes and really put our community and firefighters to the test. Thankfully, no lives were lost and the small scare we had with the Antelope fire that took place very close to our home gave us a glimpse of what the people who had homes near the mountains must have gone through. I was at Sears getting pictures taken of the girls (naturally, where else would I be?) and I got a phone call that a brush fire started and they were evacuating our neighborhood. So we rushed home to get our dogs and grab a few valuables. I had my wedding pictures in my pockets, my purse stuffed with whatever I could grab and both girls on my hips running in and out of the house. The smoke was so thick it really did seem like it was only a matter of time before the fire made it to our house. Thanks to our amazing local and statewide firefighters, we all had a home to return to that night. It really put things into perspective for us.




In July, we finished our backyard renovation process and had beautiful artificial grass laid out so that the girls could run around outside and not have to worry about stupid rocks. We had a lot of helpers and we really appreciate everyone pitching in!



In August, our sweet Rylee turned TWO! It’s unbelievable to think of how fast these past 2 years have flown by. We had a Sesame Street themed party for her at our house and it was a lot of fun. Rylee got her very own potty from Mimi & Dude!




In September, Dave made a huge career move and resigned with AFCA and took a job on post with STG. It was a tough decision to make, but we knew that it had to be what was best for our family. So far he really enjoys it. He works Wednesday through Saturday, 10 hour shifts and every 2 months he changes to a different shift (6a-4p, 2p-12a, 10p-8a). I work 2 out of the 3 days that Dave is off and it only leaves 1 night a week that we are usually home together, but we both have jobs we enjoy and hopefully our combined income with allow us to get out of debt faster so that we can spend more time with our girls, especially as they get older and more involved in activities with school, sports, etc. I am so proud of Dave and all that he has achieved to get him to where he is now. Way to go baby! ;)
Rylee got her first haircut! She wasn’t nearly as timid as I thought she might be. She really seemed to enjoy it. Such a big girl now!




In October, we visited Apple Annie's Orchard and the pumpkin patch in Wilcox. It was REALLY hot this year and we were a little exhausted by the end of the day, but it was worth it seeing Rylee have fun picking out her pumpkin. Allie was carried by myself in the baby Bjorn and I definitely felt like I got my workout for the week carrying her all day :) She was such a good sport even though I am sure she would have rather been playing in the clumps of dirt on the ground rather than sweating up against me all day in the sun.


*play date with Amara*3 legged foot race we lost... terribly at :)


For Halloween we took the girls to the mall for trick or treating and it was a lot of fun. This year Rylee wanted to be a princess (of course) and chose to be Princess Belle and we dressed Allie as Princess Cinderella. The girls looked rather adorable, if I do say so myself! We went to see Mimi, Dude, and Grandma and got spoiled some more with goodies after the mall.




In November, we spent Thanksgiving at my parents house and had a delicious feast. My mom really does go all out and we LOVE the leftovers that follow. I really hope I can serve a feast to my family the way she does someday. I worked this year and so did Dave, so it made Thanksgiving go by super fast.

**Allie took her first steps towards my dad (Dude) on Thanksgiving Day! It was such a precious moment and I hope I never forget it. Allie really does have a strong bond with my dad. She is totally a grandpa's girl :) I think it's so special that she chose him to walk her first steps towards. It warms my heart.
Dave went on his first hunt and got his first buck! Woo hoo!



In December, Allie turned ONE! I know I sound like a broken record by HOLY COW this year went by so fast with her! I don't know if it's because she is the second baby and that's how it goes or what, but I really wish these girls would slow down a bit. I now officially have 2 toddlers and I LOVE it! Never a dull moment. Allie is now walking all the time and chasing her big sister everywhere. They are so sweet together. I hope they stay this close forever. For Allie's birthday we had a Minnie Mouse themed party at the house and Dave works with someone whose wife makes AMAZING cakes and she made this beautiful Minnie Mouse cake for Allie. It was huge too. Like it could have easily fed 150 people. Too bad we only had about 30 :)
We went to see Christmas lights in Winterhaven in Tucson and it was a lot of fun but FREEZING!
We also went to the Christmas parade in town and froze there too :)
Santa Claus came to visit us on Christmas Eve and Rylee and Allie loved it! I could tell Rylee was a little confused because of how familiar Santa looked, but they were both way more comfortably knowing Santa this year rather than sit on a stranger's lap :) We celebrated Christmas at home Christmas morning with my parents and Grandma, then I worked the next few nights and we had a delayed Christmas with the rest of the family a few days later when Brad and Carly could make it down too. It was a lot of fun this year since Rylee knew more of what was going on and hearing her sing Christmas carols all day for a month and watching all the classic Christmas cartoons. I really think having kids is the key to getting into the Christmas spirit. They really do make you so thankful and happy and appreciate the reason for the season :)



So it wasn't short... but it was sweet, right? :)

2 comments:

Angie said...

It was sweet! What fun celebrations, I really like Allie's minnie mouse cake. The girls look so adorable in their princess costumes.

I think it's funny that Rylee thought Santa looked familiar, I know Grandpa loves doing it. I wish we could have had that opportunity. :) Love you guys!

J2A2K (darth_ender) said...

It was so fun reading your blog. It's ok, I also can't believe how big the girls are getting. Every time I come over they look so different. I still can't believe Allie is already walking, but then again she is 1.

I loved looking at all the pictures. The ones of us made me laugh. Good memories! ;) We did lose badly. Sorry, that was my fault. But it was worth it! Thanks for being a good sport.

You guys are doing so well. Keep up the hard work. I know it must be hard, but it will pay off. Thanks for your great examples. We love you!