Saturday, October 13, 2007

How it all began...


I convinced Dave to get a family email address and this led to us getting our own Blog! Woo Hoo! :) I guess I should start this off by telling everyone how excited we are to be getting married December 29th of this year! We have most of the wedding plans accomplished. Now we are doing some last minute searching for a DJ and ordering flowers. (Dave is in charge of hiring the DJ...). The colors will be burgundy and silver and the Reverend who is going to marry us looks like Neal Diamond in the 70's. We think it's bound to be an exciting/interesting day for everyone who comes!

(I love telling the story of how Dave and I met) In May 2001 I started my first summer as a lifeguard at Irwin Street Pool at Fort Huachuca, AZ. On this first day of work we had an orientation/get-to-know-each-other meeting and I briefly met Dave. He said "Hi, I'm David Strong" and from then on I knew who my new summer crush would be! At the time I was 16 and had braces, and I was a very scrawny and awkward girl. Dave was 20 and had graduated from high school and seemed to be so put together and confident. Looking back I can see how I probably didn't even register on his radar. But I made sure we became friends that summer, and we really did.

After that summer, Dave moved to Tucson to work, go to school, and be closer to his girlfriend (aw man!). I finished high school in 2002 and started working at the Cove. Dave came and visited that summer to help out with the lifeguard Olympics. We quickly re-connected and spent a lot of time catching up on our lives. I think he started to notice me as a GIRL this summer because I had lost the braces, started wearing make-up, and gained a healthy amount of weight so I didn't look like Olive Oil anymore! One night we were working late with a bunch of the lifeguards and decided to order pizza. Dave and I were waiting in the front of the building for the pizza and Dave noticed that Shawn (a fellow lifeguard buddy) was trying to see us through the tinted windows. Dave then said, "Hey, let's get Shawn and pretend to kiss!" At this I was in shock but couldn't help but think... "pretend?" It would have been my first kiss! But my dreams didn't work out that night and we did indeed FAKE kiss and Shawn reacted just as we had hoped and ran and told everyone else that "Dave and Brianna are out front kissing!" :) Aww... if only!

I went to college after that summer, at NAU. It was my first time being that far from home and all of my family. Dave gave me his email address and I took it upon myself to make sure we kept in touch. First we started emailing once in a while, then we started talking on instant messenger here and there, and after a month or so, we were dedicating ever Friday night to talking online or on the phone. It was a fabulous way for us to keep in touch. We were still not dating and Dave had no idea that I have had a huge crush on him since day 1... or did he? :)

As the years rolled on I graduated from NAU, and was planning on re-enrolling as a Nursing student in the accelerated program. Dave moved from Texas, where he was living with his sister Maria, her husband, Jeff and their children, to Sierra Vista briefly, then to Gilbert. Both of us had been in and out of a few relationships and were really just happy to be such good friends and still keep in touch after 6 years. I ended up moving to Phoenix to take an externship at a large valley hospital to help boost my nursing career, and this allowed Dave and I to really spend more time together since we lived only 20 minutes apart. Soon we were spending ALL of our free time together and his roommates didn't even blink away from their Nintendo screens when I came in the front door (they became very used to me being over there!). We started dating in the Fall of 2006 (officially, I guess) and Dave proposed to me July 20, 2007! The rest is history! :) I have loved him through all of his strange phases and weird hobbies and he has really accepted me for the still awkwardly persistent girl that I am!

No comments: